بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
This simple sentence book has images of common vegetables along with their English and Arabic names, characteristics, and the colors of the different vegetables in both languages in color coded sentences. The full colour 52 pages book emphasises what the children have read in the previous 2 books where Colours, Inside, outside vocabulary are repeated.
By the time the child comes to this level, you will find confidence in her or him as the children would have already mastered reading the colours and much of the vocabulary. This is something I really like with any book, continuity, reinforcement and repetitions really help children as well as adults to master any concept or vocabulary.
The first page gives you chart with the names of all the vegetables in Arabic and the meaning in English. This makes it easier for you to remember the names and for vocabulary revision.
At the end of the book you get couple of colouring activities for the kids to do.
Maimoonah and I enjoy reading this book and we together make this book come live by looking at the vegetables and talking about it in Arabic using the sentences of the book. Again you can have a cooking lesson, especially with girls but I am sure the boys would love this too! Maimoonah is kind of dreaming of having a cooking school these days and always into being a cooking teacher. So am trying to make her do her cooking classes in Arabic using this book.
Here are more ideas as to what activities you can do
- Grow Vegetables if you are able to and discuss the wonderful signs of Allaah in it
- Take your kids to the farmers market or vegetable market or even the supermarket and ask them to pick the vegetables that you tell them in Arabic, they would really love this,
- Make a vegetable basket with all the vegetables mentioned in the book and send as a gift to someone you know. Older kids can write a small note in Arabic with the vegetables in the basket.
- Get the kids to write the grocery list this time in Arabic (if they are unable to write yet they still can write in English and tell you the arabic words) including the vegetables mentioned in the book
- Make a chart of the vegetables mentioned and their nutrients, the blessings Allaah has provided His slaves in them.
- Sort the vegetables mentioned as to which part of the plant they are. Example roots - ginger, carrot, Leaves - lettuce
- Cut vegetables and show the inside and outside. Enhance the cutting techniques with the older kids
- Include your kids in making a steamed mixed vegetable dish or a vegetable stew and have a healthy meal.
Feel free to comment below and tell us what more you can do to get the best out of this wonderful book. This book can be purchased for a reasonable price here
Watch out for the GIveaway post after we finish reviewing all 8 books Inshaa Allaah!