Tuesday 19 April 2011

Classroom/Circle Time


Sis Umm Suhailah keeps asking me where are the pics of the "New Environment" for Maimoonah after we moved.

So finally I got sometime to blog about it. Subhanallaah finding time these days have become a Jihad by itself. May Allaah give barakah in our time. Aameen.

Ok so first of all I was really inspired by Umm Sara and her circle time even though I was having thoughts of making it very official I was a bit unsure how I should do this to suit our schedules and situation. But Alhamdulillaah after her post and the post from countingcoconuts I knew what exactly I should do to make this a beneficial learning activity for Maimoonah and Alhamdulillaah after I put this up I am still getting little little ideas to add up as we go along Insha Allaah!

So First let me show our small classrrom. This is part of our living room. You can see a small floor area. Her Desk and chair, her book cupboard and the big white board.



This is the closer look of her desk and chair.



The books that she uses most of the time are kept in these shelves.



These are the reference books and her Noddy Books kept in her bedroom (due to not enough of space and she loves to see these books while she comfortably sits on her bed smile).


Then these shelves have some of her Montossori Activity stuff, and her collections. When she is in a mood you can see her taking something from here are doing lacing or spooling or puzzles.



Then this is the closer look of the floor area, where we sit together and read, make puzzles, build blocks and she plays and does all what she wants.


This is the white board that my husband forced me to have May Allaah bless him for all his generous help. Aameen. We have a huge problem using the walls for charts so he got me this board which can be used on both sides and would be ideal for displaying charts and bulletin boards and use for other classroom purpose as well. So We will use this for all of this Insha Allaah. Also it has wheels and very light in weight so can be moved wherever you need.



This white board is ready for the next day's lessons.



Circle Time

We used our old white board for this masha Allaah. This Area is seperate from the classroom area due to space issue and also just to give a different environment.

This is how the area looks. (Please ignore some of the colours that you see on the print outs as I am facing a crazy colour issue on my printer, any way I presume it does not look bad Insha Allaah)


Now for some details.

So we have the calandar. This time I included a complete calandar as well. Insha Allaah I hope to change this complete calendar every month, just to make a difference. You can download this and the others from TJ Insha Allaah! We use a magnet to indicate the current date.



Then you get the Hijri Calandar referance chart, Days of the Week both in Arabic and English and The seasons in both languages.


Then I have displayed numbers 1- 100. We count all of them.



Then we have the beautiful weather wheel which I took from here. It has in Arabic and English. So we set the arrow according to the day's weather.


I could not get a decent clock for a reasonable price and My husband said he could get me a nice actual clock for a reasonable price for Maimoonah to use and learn. So until such time I made this small clock with card stock and put it up. I took the template from mrspancake. Maimoonah knows all the o' clocks. So she teaches me the time every day. Gradually we will learn the other timings too Insha Allaah!


And finally I put up the names of the soorahs of Juzz Amma to make it easeir for me to ask Maimoonah to recite a particular Soorah for revision.




Then below the board on the table we have kept the essential books for that week and the materials used for circle time. Also the worksheets, hands on activities that will be used for the week. This way I will remember to pull out all the resources available and use them Insha Allaah! I realized when things are inside the cupboard they just do not get used and its a waste. Subhanallaah!


We also use the Arabic Curriculum Book from Arabicfirst to revise some words, numbers and to do exercises. She likes this. In between the circle time I ask her to do run, turn, jump, stand all in Arabic.

Then on the other side of the table you can see her kitchen. This is the place she uses to cook. Her microwave, refrigerator, cooker and other stuff are there.


So this is the new set up and masha Allaah it is successful so far. We feel we have more space for one thing and Maimoonah is very happy with her classroom to the extent that she only wants to learn. And troubles me to give her some activities all the time.

So what do you think ?

12 comments:

Umm Suhailah said...

Bismillaah

As Salaamu Alaikum!!!!!!!

I love it Umm Maimoonah!!!!! It is so exciting to see it coming together :) Mashaa'Allaah. Baraka'Allaahu'Feekum!!!! May Allaah bless Maimoonah with lots of beneficial ilm in her new space Aameen.
My girls would love that area too! I especially love the fact that everything really accommodates all your activities- how you have a Montessori section- the white board with activities, the rug for your puzzle time and other activities- your space seems so personal and really suited for all your home schooling adventures.
I have you on my blog list and when I went to see any updates I saw my name on your blog lol- I was wondering what happen!!! *huge smile* Love the work Umm Maimoonah...sorry for the long comment- I'm just so excited :)

Umm Suhailah said...

Oh by the way ........love the kitchen!!! With all my girls ....that kitchen seems just right :) Mashaa'Allaah. Maimoonah needs to cook me and the girls something to eat- or have a tea party with my girls :)

UmmSara said...

assalamu alaikum,

Looks great mashaAllah. You guys have lots of books too mashaAllah. I like the open space, I think this is a must thing while doing homeschooling. I love to work on a open space without any extra furniture.

Monika said...

Assalaamu alaikum uhkty,

Masha Allah!, it looks very good! Organized and still easy access to everyhing, also for Maimoonah. Also love the desk, with everything ready for her masha Allah. May Allah continue to bless you!
Would really love one area for my children but our space is limited, alhamdulillahi ta ala, and right now our kitchen table is our desk and every (previously) free corner has some school features lol.

Umm Maimoonah said...

Alaikum salaam warahmathullaah dear Akhawaat!

Jazzakumullaah Khayr for all your lovely kind encouraging comments.

Umm Suhailah I told Maimoonah about cooking for you and your kids and she is so thrilled about it, She actually started cooking for you all and expecting you to come home. lol!

Umm Sara yes masha Allaah I realized I had so many books while shifting lol! It was more than our clothes and our belongings lol!

Umm Aadam Aamen to your dua, Masha Allaah this is indeed the homes of homeschoolers so we all are in the same boat Alhamdulillaah!

Umm Suhailah said...

Bismillaah

Wa Alaikum Salaam

Lol@Maimoonah. That is too cute Mashaa'Allaah. hehe@come home. May Allaah bless your family with success in this life and the next Aameen

Anonymous said...

Masha-Allah, absolutely organized! I love the idea of setting a specific place for the resources of the week. Nothing will get forgotten that way.

Umm Maimoonah said...

Jazzakillaah Khayr muslimlearninggarden for your kind comments. Yeah lately I figured out I was just keeping resources without even me knowing those are hanging out there so got put things in place Subhanallaah! : )

Busy mama and five busy bees said...

Assalamu alaykum warahmatullah sis..

MashaAllah,the place looks so organized..it is always my dream to have a very organized and neat place for studying. i don't know when the dream will come true. we cant put anything in a lower place, my son can reach. sometime i have to keep things in a drawer because of my artist daughter.love your place very much.
fatima

Umm Maimoonah said...

Alaikum salaam warahmathullaah sis

Jazzakillaah Khayr for the comment. Yes I know how much we all want to have a proper classroom. But I am telling you managing with what we have is so much fun sometimes. Allaahu A'lam. I would love to keep my living room for the purpose of living but I have no alternative to use it as the school. But I can see the productivity in this because Maimoonah wants to be in an area where we all are and does not like isolation, hence you can see her doing some puzzle, or writing or reading or looking at her collection all day because she is secure that we are around. But I guess if you have younger children and your kids grow you will need a closed door.

Yes, even now I have kept many things hidden up on my clothes cupboard shelves : ). This will continue sis !!

Hope and pray you will have a better neater environment soon Insha Allaah!

Javeria said...

Assalamu Alaykum,
MashaAllah I am so amazed and inspired by your homeschooling. I have been thinking of embarking on this journey myself..can I just ask what is your daughter's age and do you have any other children.

Umm Maimoonah said...

Alaikum salaam Javeria,
Jazzakillaah Khayr for stopping by and for your kind words. My daughter is 4 years and 3 months now masha Allaah and I do not have any other kids only her so far bi idhnillaah! May Allaah make your journey successful! Aameen!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...