Saturday 3 December 2011

Our Seerah Study

We started the study of seerah this week as per the SK Islaamic Studies curriculum.
As for me Maimoonah learning the seerah is important for her life Insha Allaah. I do not want this to be a forgotten story as time passes so I intend to make it interesting and make this Noble study of the Seerah become a part of her life.
Insha Allaah through this study of the life of our Prophet Muhammad sallaahu alaihiwasallam I want her to love Allaah and His Messenger more than anyone or anything else in this world, through this I want her to understand the hardships He sallaahu alaihiwasallam and the companions faced and make them her role model through out Insha Allaah. May Allaah make this easy, Aameen.

So for this study so far we are using the following resources Insha Allaah and as we go on we will include whatever we find in the coming days which will be useful Insha Allaah!


The Sealed Nectar -
The Atlas of  Prophet's Biography - Google Books
Learning Roots - Seerah Timeline
Learning Roots - Seerah Trail Puzzle
Darus Salaam Prophets sent by Allaah - Muhammad sallaahu alaihiwasallam 
Darus Salaam Story of Prophet Muhammad in Makkah
Darus Salaam Story of Prophet Muhammad in Madeenah
The Story of Muhammad - in Arabic 
Dr Saleh As Saleh Raheemahullaah - Knowing Prophet Muhammad
Dr Saleh As Saleh Raheemahullaah  - Audio on Muhammad sallaahu alaihiwasallam
A Botany Book to record some points and do some worksheets and activities.

The Arab Society during Ayyaamul Jaahiliyyah
So this week we learnt about the Arab Society during the Days of Ignorance before Islaam. Explained to her the Meaning of Ayyaamul Jaahiliyyah. We read the sealed nectar and understood what kind of society it was. We recorded on our seerah book some points. We discussed about what they worshipped, how their manners were, the good traits and the bad traits and etc etc. She just could not believe how they could bury the baby girls! I had to tell her at this point. But also assured her that all those babies will be in Jannah and they would not feel the pain as Allaah will relieve them Insha Allaah and they all will be with Ibraaheem alaihissalaam in the gardens of Jannah. She was satisfied masha Allaah!


Then we also looked at the map of Arabia on our atlas and spoke about different countries that belonged to the middle east.


After discussing the Arab Society, I gave her some pictures and asked her to paste and desplay the acts of the Arab Society at that time on her book. And asked her to do the worksheet I made. Also we discussed some reasons that this society needed a Prophet and listed on the book. Will upload the worksheet and the pictures we used soon so that if you want you can download. Please check back in few days and it will be done Insha Allaah!  Here is the link for the worksheet Insha Allaah!





Then we read the Darus Salaam The Story of Muhammad in Makkaah till the birth of the Prophet. Maimoonah is able to read this book and I feel it is good for her age and pretty comprehensive too. But we use the Sealed Nectar for more information.



Then we put up the Time Line on the Board and Insha Allaah hope to paste the stickers as we go on. Its a nice way to revise and to know how much more to complete. And displaying on the board also reminds every now and then what we are studying.

This is the Time Line on the Board.

These are Stickers.
 Then finally we did this Learning Roots Puzzle The Seerah Trail. I helped her and we made this together.




After making the puzzle, I went through the whole seerah from Makkan period till his sallaahu alaihiwasalam death not in detail but just few words so that she would know what we would be studying Insha Allaah!

This is all we did for this week and I am on the look out for ideas and activities to continue this study Insha Allaah. So far I could only get this link. If anyone of you have ideas and links for seerah please do share Insha Allaah! 

11 comments:

Homeschool Diary said...

asalamualaikum wa rahmatullah,
this is a fantastic post. It reaally has given me insight into how to start our formal islamic studies. It all sounds really interestingly done. Mashallah and jazakallahkhair for sharing.

Umm Suhailah said...

Bismillaah

As salaamu alaiki Umm Maimoonah

I agree I think this post is fantastic too Mashaa'Allaah.

You guys only worked on Islaamic Studies this week?

Also question- how did you introduce Prophet Muhammad (sallaahu alaihi wa salam) to Maimoonah- what age?

Also a lot of the books you recommend I cannot afford at the moment do you have a good idea how I can substitute not having the books to teach this subject.

In the 1st level aqeedah book its has introduce Prophet Muhammad (sallaahu alaihi wa salam) and the girls have not had a formal introduction until then....but because we have no books that are kid friendly outside of the aqeedah book I wasn't sure how to keep up

hehe sorry for the long comment- Its just that your post was something the girls got a short intro on this week through the aqeedah book.

Umm Maimoonah said...

Alaikum salaam warahmathullaahi wabarakaathuhu sisters

Wa iyyaaki Amatullaah, Insha Allaah if you are hoping to do this as well and if you come up with ideas and resources let me know Insha Allaah!

Umm Suhailah, jazzakillaah khayr for your supporting comments as usual. No we did not do only Islaamic studies. We did our usual subjects for the week. Yet to post the summary. This week was very cold for the first time as winter has begun officially and we were really slow due to most of the time being under the blanket lol! Just getting used to the cold and this time I feel its early and really cold, we did things very slow and except for seerah we just stuck to our books only, nothing outside this week.

As for when did I introduce Prophet Muhammad then I think when I taught her where is Allaah when she was about 9 months I spoke about our Prophet but only the name. I started telling her more when she was about 1 and half onwards. Yes, with the aqeedah book of Brother Moosa you can start this I guess verbally by just narrating. She knew the full name of the Prophet when she was about 2 years or less than that. I used to any way read the Usooluth thalaathah for kids from the time she was 2 years old.

As for not having these books then you can summarise from the online book of sealed nectar as any way that is what I am doing right now. Also Dr Saleh as Saleh raheemahullaah has an article and audio here.
http://understand-islam.net/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=117&Itemid=41

link for the article http://www.understand-islam.net/Books/Knowing%20Prophet%20Muhammad.pdf
I think this would help you a lot than the sealed nectar Insha Allaah as it is summarised.

I am thinking of using it too Insha Allaah! I will put this link up on the post as well so that others could benefit Insha Allaah!

No probs all comments short or long most welcome Insha Allaah! : )

Umm Suhailah said...

Bismillaah

Ohhhhhh thank ya kindly! I will checkout what you said.

I was thinking about my lack of books- and I was wondering how I could substitute for them :)

It sounds like its really cold there! Mashaa'Allaah. Here it's not so bad- I can't wait for the snow! I love winter so curling under a blanket lol sounds like fun to me :)

Imaan said...

as salaamu `alaykum :)

Seerah is a big fave with us so I love this post :) The newer editions of The Sealed Nectar and When The Moon Split are very attractive indeed ma shaa Allah - maps, questions after each chapter etc. I bought the kids their own copies so they make it a point to read and in shaa Allah love Rasulullah sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam. I found some nice books in Singapore that have helped boost our studies - in shaa Allah, once we've restored some order to our living quarters :)

UmmSara said...

MashaAllah,
Very good topic, I hope Maimoonah will enjoy studying about our beloved Prophet Muhammad sallallahu alaihi wassalam. My kids do like to listen to the stories from the life of Muhammad sallallahu alaihi wassalam. And the puzzle is a good tool too mashaAllah.

Umm Maimoonah said...

Umm Suhailah hope and pray you get the right resources Insha Allaah!

Alaikum salaam Imaan, I did not know about the new editions of the books, will check them out, it would be lovely to have questions and it saves time for me too: ) Jazzakillaah Khayr for the info.

Umm Sara, yes she loves listening to the story as well, now that she has the small books she reads on her own whenever she wants to know about the seerah, masha Allaah! Awaiting to see how you go about with the SK curriculum Insha Allaah!

Anonymous said...

Assalaamu alaikum ukhti :)

This post has really helped me masha Allah. It is truly beneficial to us that you share your outlines like this, I know I sometimes feel so overwhelmed to be doing it all from scratch.

Jazzakillahu khair

XXX

Umm Maimoonah said...

Alaikum salaam Umm Imaan,
Glad it is of benefit to you. Yes it is like that but the out come is very beneficial masha Allaah so I get pushed to do it by the mercy of Allaah! Wa Iyyaaki! And I can see the pleasure in Maimoonah learning about the Messenger, she cries when she reads he lost his parents and his loved one, cheers up when she reads Allaah helped him, sobs when she reads he was stoned, subhanallaah so much kids get emotional and their fitra is truly amazing Ukhtee, its just that we got to nurture them with correct Tarrbiya and ask plenty of dua that Allaah protects them from all the evils as they grow.

Educatinathome said...

Assalamaliki,
I love this plan. Your book and audio suggestions are wonderful, Masha Allah. I was trying to download your files from the 4shared folder but it wouldn't download. Please helP
Umm of 3 bint K

Umm Maimoonah said...

Alaikum salaam sister

4shared used to allow downloading without signing in those days. Now they have changed and you need to sign in for free to download. But be patient Inshaa Allaah, I am uploading all my documents on to my server and will put up a tab for all downloads on the top of the menu bar and will give all the links. So all my documents will be in one place for you to download and it will make it easy for all Inshaa Allaah. Baarakallaah Feekum

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...