Alhamdulillaah we have completed another successful school year only by the mercy of Allaah. I have to post the last week summary of the Kindergarten Curriculum, which I have not done yet and will do it soon.
So now , we need to get ready for the next school year Inshaa Allaah. Maimoonah will be 5 years old and will be in Grade 1 officially. If she was schooling then she would be going to school next year. Cannot believe she had grown so fast Allaahu Baarik laha, I still remember the day I gave birth to her : )
So what are we going to do next year? After researching and browsing and browsing and reading and asking Allaah to guide me I have decided to follow the Cambridge Primary Curriculum (English, Maths and Science) for many reasons such as,
- It saves me lot of time
- We do not live in the country where we were born and not sure of our relocations.
- Frame Work for Primary is for 5 - 11 year olds. So you can go at the pace of the child.
- The text books and resources are already recommended and it is easy for me to get them
- It's recognized world wide, stepping stone for IGCSE in the future Inshaa Allaah
- This will give us plenty of time to do other explorations and above all Islaam And Arabic Inshaa Allaah
- I do not have to worry too much every year looking out for books and lesson plans at least for 3 subjects.
- I do not have to follow this strictly, I can leave out and add accordingly Inshaa Allaah. Its flexible for us.
- We have covered the initial parts of the curriculum already during Preschool and Kindergarten unknowingly though.
- Cambridge Primary Progression Tests and Cambridge Primary Checkpoint are available if you wish to get a feeler of making your kids sit for exams.
- The Past Exam Papers are available as specimen to check your teaching : )
The Primary Curriculum has 6 stages for each of the subject, (5 - 11 year old children) English, Maths and Science.
English covers the following:
English covers the following:
- Phonics , Spelling and Vocabulary
- Grammar and punctuation
- Speaking and Listening
As for English Alhamdulillaah we have already done most of the stuff from Stages 1 - 3. So I will be completely skipping Stages 1 and 2 except for few brush ups. Also this would depend upon the books that they have recommended. I have still not seen the text books. Any way will be choosing the levels accordingly Inshaa Allaah.
Maths covers the following;
- Handling Date
- Problem Solving
As for Mathematics I need to go through the stages from 1 to 6 without skipping. Since we have been using MEP which has a different style altogether we might have to do the stages of Cambridge Primary Mathematics in order. Again I need to look at the books and decide which level I would choose Inshaa Allaah.
We will still continue to do MEP maths as well, as I feel this is very good and enables children to think a little further. And the Text books prescribed for Cambridge Maths are Nelson International Maths. They are very colourful and would give another feeling of maths I guess for Maimoonah and I hope to alternate MEP and the Nelson books.Science
Science covers the following:
- Scientific Enquiry
Text books are prescribed only from stage 3. And Alhamdulillaah we have covered most of the topics and Maimoonah is very familiar with them. Its just that we will be doing things a little deeper from now onwards. I will be using the Text book prescribed for stage 3 Galore Park Junior Science Book 1 as a guide and will use the Usborne Science Encyclopedias the generous sister sent us from Canada for this year along with many hands on activities Inshaa Allaah.
I will be having a post of each subject with the frame work and as we complete I will tick off. This would give me an idea where we stand at any given time Inshaa Allaah.
As for Islaamic Studies I hope to start Usooluth Thalaathah - The Three Fundamental Principles by Imaam Muhammad bin Abdul Wahhaab raheemahullaah. The resources I intend using
- Explanation of the The Three Fundamental Principle by Shaykh Uthaimeen Raheemahullah
- Audio Explanation of the Three Fundamental Principles by Brother Abu Sufyan
- Work Book for Usooluth Thalaathah - Part 1
We will try and memorise the Arabic Version of the text of Usooluth Thalaathah Inshaa Allaah. No goals set but will go along with the pace of Maimoonah Inshaa Allaah.
Other than this I hope to do the following
- continue with Hifdhl along with the Tafseer
- Seerah - Madeenah Period
- Prophets of Allaah
- Life Story of few sahabah
- Life Story of Few Scholars
- The fiqh issues such as the pillars of Islaam, Eeemaan and Ihsaan and etc will be covered as and when we come across them in the Usooluth Thalaathah.
I will be using many lovely books that I have ordered for this and will be doing some relaxed study along with some living books. (Jazzakumullaah Khayr for the sisters who are helped me chose the books with their feed backs and to the dear sisters in Doha who are willing to carry them for me from abroad )Will share our Plans when I receive the books Inshaa Allaah.
I would be looking out for an Arabic Teacher Inshaa Allaah to give Maimoonah a little more exposure in Arabic and we will be continuing our reading and writing in an organized manner Inshaa Allaah.
As and when I am ready I will be posting the schedules and resources and school year plans for each subject separately Inshaa Allaah.
Apart from the above subjects we will do a Book review each month, continue with sewing, cooking and incorporate art and craft as well Inshaa Allaah. I am also thinking of using work boxes, More about it later inshaa Allaah.
And Alhamdulillaah since some wonderful sincere sisters here in Doha have got together to have a home-schooling group we are looking forward to engage in many out door and extra curricular activities as well bi idhnillaah.
So a promising year ahead by the Mercy of Allaah and May Allaah make it a successful one and another year of pleasing Him alone. Aameen.